Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Way back in the fall I ordered a bunch of plants from Raintree Nursery. I got about half of them put in the ground before winter set in and the ground froze solid. The rest lived on my covered front porch pretty much entirely neglected until today. Today my two currants and one gooseberry found their permanent homes.


The single gooseberry, closest in the photo, is a variety named Red George. It’s cold hardy, self-fertile, compact at only 2′-3′ at maturity and will yield 4 to 5 lbs of fruit each season. The two currants are both black varieties, which require cross pollination. The first is Minaj Smyriou, another compact and hardy plant. The second currant is a variety named Titania and it can get quite large, over 6 feet!. I located it on the corner of my planting bed in case I need to support it using a tie on the porch column.



Read Full Post »

So you see all these landscape timbers… yeah… they used to be the border to the terribly over grown mess known to us as the North garden bed.

And this is what is left after dragging all those landscape timbers out. Tons and tons of thick grass and weeds… and a few non-plant surprises.

Beneath all those weeds were a bunch of strange metal grates… I’m still not sure what they were… weird fence panels maybe? shelving of some sort??

Here’s a close up of the grates. So what do you think they are? They are each really really heavy.

A couple days later the truck arrived to reclaim the dumpster.

I have to be honest… right at this point.. I was more than a little worried that the truck wasn’t going to be able to get it up on the rig. We put a LOT of really heavy stuff in there and packed that dumpster tight as a sardine tin.

But the winch on the truck made pretty short work of the job and in no time the dumpster was safely on and locked in place.

And then it was time to say goodbye as the dumpster and all that junk rolled off into the sunset.

Read Full Post »

Here you can see the old shed foundation. Lots of rotten boards and a random assortment of stones, bricks and concrete. Yeah… doubt that ever had a building inspection done.

Looking from the other side, you can see that the boards have rotted so much that the grass is starting to take root and grow over them.

Weeds, rocks, and a whole lot of mess. Yuck!

A close up of the foundation mess. This pile of rock and debris is almost two feet deep.

Progress! Trees, wild grape vines, and lots of weeds have been cut and removed. You can see our neighbor’s garden fence behind all the mess. I know he’ll be glad to get some more sun.

Now for the backbreaking work of moving all this stone.

Happy day, help has arrived. Our neighbor Keith came by with a hammer and pry bar and jumped right in. The foundation top boards have been removed and now the rotten frame edges are ready to come up.

All of the rotten wood has been removed from the foundation, just rocks and bricks left. We’ve also removed the first of the railroad ties that line the driveway.

The final bit of destruction and clean up for the day was prying out the rest of the railroad ties. Definitely a two man job.. first to get them out, then to lift them into the dumpster.

Next up: Removing the north-side garden landscape timbers and related junk and saying goodbye to the dumpster.

Read Full Post »

As part of the new garage construction project we’ve had to do some demo and clean up around the house. Here are a few pics of the process.

The empty dumpster, delivered and waiting to be filled.

When the camera comes out, Maddie must be in a picture somehow. So here she is posing by the dumpster to create an idea of scale.

The first demo victim… the old playground set.

Another view of the playground set.

The first pieces come off. These were actually boards we salvaged from the monkey bar section we took off last year. The bars were no longer safe, so we said goodbye to that part and used the leftover lumber to safely close up two really wide openings in the treehouse portion over the sandbox.

The rope swing comes down.

The swing set portion comes down. The purple double rider is history but we are keeping the baby swing and two regular swings.

The kids squeezing in the last few moments of sandbox play time. Oh and that orange stake there… thats the far back corner of the new garage.

Out comes the Saws-All

We tried to demo the set by carefully unscrewing it all. However when the set was put together, galvanized screws were not used therefore almost all of the screws had rusted in place. So out came the saws-all.

Ready to tackle the main tree house and sandbox section. The slide is also being salvaged for use at another time.





Next up.. the old shed foundation and all the associated rubble. But that will be in a separate post.

Read Full Post »

The natural gas utility is outside, directly across from my front door, digging up some old pipes. Thankfully its not my yard they have to dig up. They have dug quite the hole over there.  If you enlarge the picture you can see that there is one of the workman standing in it and his shoulders are about at the grass line.

Read Full Post »

A new compost bin

Last weekend my husband and one of his co-workers tackled the first of many garden projects this year. A brand new 3-section compost bin.

I think it looks fantastic.



Read Full Post »